我認為,上帝造人有點高估了自己的能力。
(I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.)
永遠原諒敵人,沒有什麼能比這個讓他們更惱火。
(Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.)
我什麼都能抗拒,除了誘惑。
(I can resist everything except temptation.)
為了贏回我的青春,我什麼都願意做,除了鍛煉、早起、做個對社會有用的人。
(To win back my youth, there is nothing I wouldn't do - except take exercise, get up early, or be a useful member of the community.)
年輕的時候,我以為錢是人生最重要的,現在我老了,我懂了,確實如此。
(When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.)
人生中只有一件事比被人議論更糟糕,那就是:無人議論你。
(There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.)
時裝是一種讓人無法忍受的醜陋,所以我們必須每六個月換一次。
(Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.)
原文:God knows; I won't be an Oxford don anyhow. I'll be a poet, a writer, a dramatist. Somehow or other I'll be famous, and if not famous, I'll be notorious. Or perhaps I'll lead the life of pleasure for a time and then—who knows?—rest and do nothing. What does Plato say is the highest end that man can attain here below? To sit down and contemplate the good. Perhaps that will be the end of me too. [注 1]
Sheridan Morley著:《奧斯卡·王爾德》(Oscar Wilde),第31頁 ,倫敦 George Weidenfeld and Nicholson出版社,1976年版
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
假如一個人聽到差勁的音樂,他的責任就是用談話把它壓下去。 原文:If one hears bad music it is one's duty to drown it by one's conversation.
出自1890年小說《道林·格雷的畫像》對白
藝術是世間唯一需要認真看待的事,藝術家卻是社會上唯一拒絕認真的人。 原文:Art is the only serious thing in the world. And the artist is the only person who is never serious.
出自1890年小說《道林·格雷的畫像》對白
詩人能挺過一切劫難,除了印刷錯誤。 原文: A poet can survive everything but a misprint.
出自1886年10月14日The Pall Mall Gazette雜誌"The Children of the Poets"一文
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
今時今日我們真的所有東西都與美國的一模一樣,當然,除了語言之外。 原文: We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language.
出自1887年短文《古堡守護靈》
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
所謂道德抑或不道德的書是不存在的。書就只有分寫得好、寫得差,僅此而已。 原文: There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.
出自1890年小說《道林·格雷的畫像》對白